Welcome Message

*** Nov. 16th: New post is up! Link exchange is still open if you're interested~ ***

Monday, March 4, 2013

E.L.F Jumbo Lip Gloss Stick Review

Hi guys! I hope you all had a great weekend. Today I'm going to review the E.L.F Jumbo Lip Gloss Sticks I got in my most recent E.L.F haul. I was really excited to try these out because they reminded me a lot of the Revlon Lip Stain Balms.
Here's what they look like in the packaging. You can find these online at the E.L.F website for $2.00! I got the colors Sangria Starters and In the Nude.
Compared to the Revlon Kissable Balm Stains, these lip gloss sticks are a teeny bit smaller. The tip is not as pointed though so application can get a little messy/less precise than their Revlon counterpart. Just like the Revlon stains, these gloss sticks twist up to dispense more product.
I did a swatch for you of both the colors on my arm. They look very pigmented but I think they come out a lot more sheer on the lips. That's alright though as the color is quite buildable with more applications.
In the Nude (top) and Sangria Starters (bottom)
I was sort of disappointed with In the Nude as it is definitely more of an orange based nude than I wanted it to be. It's not as neutral as it looks in the tube or in the pictures online. That's one of the problems with shopping online for these things is that the colors don't always come as they appear. Unfortunately, I don't think these types of nudes flatter me very much, but for $2 I can live with this purchase being a bit of a dud.

Sangria Starters on the other hand is a very pigmented and pretty rust/dusty red/brown-red. I know that sounds kind of off-putting and weird, but trust me it's a nice color. I feel like this can be someone's "your lips but better" kind of color.
My natural lip color
In the Nude
Sangria Starters
I apologize for my ugly dry lips in these photos. I've been bad with my water intake these past couple of days so the flakes have come to haunt me. Anyways, as you can see from the pictures, the colors are very sheer. In the Nude likes to settle into the cracks and lines of my lips but Sangria Starters looks just fine. I don't know why, but this happens every time I use it. Maybe the formula for that color just isn't thick enough? I don't even know lol. It doesn't look as bad if I line my lips first and use a gloss on top. Guess this nude just hates me.
Packaging: ♥♥♥♥♥
You can't go wrong with twist up tube packaging! I love that it's small and compact like the Revlon stains. My only gripe with these kinds of products is that you can mess it up if you put the cap on wrong. But that's just the issue with all products that protrude beyond their packaging.

Price: ♥♥♥♥♥
This is such a great deal. For $2, you're getting something very comparable to the Revlon stains which can be at least an $8 purchase. You get a great amount of product and the quality is not that far off from the Revlon products.

Application: ♥♥♥♥♥
These glide on very smoothly, you don't need to prep your lips with lip balm or anything. They say they're a lip gloss but I can tell you right now it's more of a balm. They do give a great shine as if you've used gloss over a lip color, very similar to the Revlon Lip Butters. They have a slight minty smell and sensation when you apply them but it does go away. They stay smooth and feel very hydrating but they do wear off easily so you'll find yourself reapplying often.

Color: ♥♥♥♥♡The colors are very nice in swatches but they do sheer out on the lips. I think the darker colors will turn out to be better purchases than the lighter colors because of this. The product is not true to its color on the website or in the packaging, so please be careful of that when you make your purchase.

Overall: ♥♥♥♥♥
All in all I think this is a great purchase if you're looking for something similar to Revlon's lip stain balms but you don't want to shell out $8+ for a lip product. These are very comparable in terms of application but you will not get the same long lasting effect. These will most definitely wear out and transfer while the Revlon ones do not. However I think that's a fair trade off since you're basically paying 1/4 of the price for the same amount of product. I would definitely repurchase this but I would stay away from the nude color~
I hope you enjoyed this review! Let me know if you have any additional questions about this product at all. I would be more than happy to help. I'll see you all in my next post, bye bye!

Strawberry On Top Of Cupcake