Welcome Message

*** Nov. 16th: New post is up! Link exchange is still open if you're interested~ ***

Saturday, July 7, 2012

✖Stress✖


The last few sleepless nights have been filled with uncertainty and fear. It happens every time Cupcake stops eating. For those of you who aren't familiar with bunnies, when they stop eating for an extended period of time it means there is something very wrong within their digestive tract. The problem is that every time this happens to Cupcake, I have no idea what/why/how it happens.
We rushed her to the 24 hour emergency clinic because I was just too worried (at this time she hadn't eaten in 1-2 days). The clinic was packed and the wait felt like an eternity. A woman and her daughter came in with a dog wrapped in a towel. I couldn't hear what they were saying because they had really thick accents and were very soft spoken. I did hear them say something about their dog getting bitten in the neck and it was bleeding. The clinic I was at served people on the basis of how severe their pet's condition was so I thought "if that lady's dog is bleeding, they'll have to go before me because my bunny's condition isn't as bad as their bleeding dog's." 

But then, the secretary turned to them and told them it would be an hour and a half wait at least because the vets in the back were preparing for a surgery. Can you believe it? An hour and a half wait to see a bleeding dog! I couldn't wait anymore, Cupcake was shaking like mad in her cage and I couldn't just sit and watch her like this. So we Google'd up a new 24 hour clinic which was not far from where we were. I called them ahead of time and they said their wait time was approximately 20-25 minutes with the consultation fee of $25+ tax (the one we were at would cost me $200 just to see the vet, no meds/treatment included in that fee). We rushed over there and waited to be seen.
The vet eventually got to us and I told him everything about Cupcake. He had a really thick accent too and I could barely understand him at all. He ended up shaving Cupcake's crotch (lol) because of the build-up she had going on around that area (she made poo patties and they stuck to her bum basically lol). He told me she was probably feeling uncomfortable because of the clump so he said she should start eating again soon now that it's gone. After that he gave me some medicine for her and we were on our way.


When I got home I was relieved to know she was going to be okay. She didn't look any different at all but I trusted the vet knew what he was talking about. I fed her the medicine (which smelled really sweet; I later Google'd it and found out it was yogurt or something with yogurt). She still didn't look any better but I figured I'd give it a day or so for the meds to kick in and she'll be just fine.
Omfg she was not fine at all. The yogurt meds weren't helping and I saw no improvement in Cupcake's condition. I panicked because with rabbits the longer you leave them the worse their condition gets. I called up our usual vet (not the 24-hour one) yesterday and they told me to bring her in, so I did. 


We did x-rays and a whole bunch of other things and the vet told me she's really blocked up on the inside but that's just because she hasn't gone to the bathroom in a while. She gave me some prescriptions and told me she'd be in touch with me over the weekend. The meds she gave me were much more trustworthy than the yogurt meds (which she told me to stop using). Right after we got home I gave Cupcake both the meds and I saw her get a little better almost immediately. She started drinking water on her own and had a little more energy than before.
Now it's just a matter of time for the meds to kick in. I see her being more playful now and she's peeing again, which is a great sign. I just hope she gets better soon. She's still very young and I want her to live a happy and full life...
This is what she looks like
 when she's "hiding" LOL
I wonder where she could be...

Strawberry On Top Of Cupcake